Welcome to the SALUTE Veterans National Honor Society for University of the Rockies! As a University of the Rockies student and a member/veteran of the United States Armed Forces, you deserve recognition for your academic achievements and contributions.
History of SALUTE
SALUTE stands for Service, Academics, Leadership, Unity, Tribute, and Excellence. In 2009, Colorado State University was awarded the ACE/Wal-Mart Success for Veterans Grant, and from that SALUTE Veterans National Honor Society was created. SALUTE is the first honor society created for student veterans and military at higher education institutions nationwide.
The founders of SALUTE at Colorado State University write, "Some of the terms synonymous with SALUTE are to acknowledge, congratulate, hail, pay homage, pay respects, pay tribute, present arms, and recognize. These are the types of things we at SALUTE hope to do for our members who have shown courage, strength, leadership, excellence, and perseverance in their military endeavors and now are showing that same commitment to their academic careers."
SALUTE Veterans National Honor Society at University of the Rockies was established on July 13, 2010.
Read the University of the Rockies Chapter Constitution of the SALUTE Veterans National Honor Society.
To attain membership into SALUTE as a graduate student, you must meet the following criteria as of July 1, 2016:
- Be currently enrolled as a student.
- Qualify as military or veteran student under locally derived and maintained definitions. Applicants must submit a DD-214 Member 4 copy that displays the character of service (honorable discharge). Applicants currently serving on active duty or in the Guard or Reserves must submit a copy of orders for their current duty assignment.
- Have completed 12 credits of graduate coursework.
- Have a minimum GPA of a 3.5.
- Have served or currently be serving in the military, National Guard, or reserves. If no longer serving, have been honorably discharged from service.
- Maintain the highest ethical standards.
Membership in SALUTE requires a one-time lifetime membership fee of $20 paid at the time of application. Refer to the application for payment instructions.
Each student selected for recognition through membership in SALUTE will receive a military style challenge coin and a certificate suitable for framing. Members of SALUTE Honor Society have full access to the scholarships available by SALUTE. These nationally recognized scholarships are intended to aid student veterans who need supplementation of their GI Bill® funding, as well as those who lack GI Bill benefits.
For more information about SALUTE Veterans National Honor Society, please visit SALUTE's website.
GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at http://www.benefits.va.gov/gibill.
Students may apply using the SALUTE application.
Contact the SALUTE Chapter Advisor at email@example.com.