Master of Arts in Education
Online • Denver
This program is not intended to lead to certification or licensure.*
Earn your Master of Arts in Education to demonstrate your passion to advance your own education and to become a leader in the field. This degree is ideal for people who already have a teaching license and want to improve their professional credentials, possibly advance from their current position, or pursue a career in higher education. Choose a specialization in Curriculum, Instruction, and Assessment or Distance Learning to focus your academic pursuits.
Just some of the education careers that you may consider pursuing upon completion of your Master of Arts in Education include:
- School Leader
- District Office Administrator
- Program Director
- College Dean
- School Board Member
- Curriculum Developer
- Educational Consultant
- Education Policy Analyst
- Preschool and Childcare Center/Program Administrator
- Elementary or Secondary School Administrator
- Postsecondary Education Administrator
- Instructional Coordinators
The Master of Arts in Education is designed for students who have a baccalaureate degree in any academic discipline and who seek careers in the field of education.
Graduates of the Master of Arts in Education program will be able to:
- Investigate historical, theoretical and philosophical foundations of human learning with an emphasis on adult learning;
- Develop curriculum, instructional strategies & assessments that leverage educational resources and emerging technologies in diverse education;
- Apply learning theories and models and engage in reflective practice regarding curriculum and instruction;
- Utilize pedagogical models, frameworks, and approaches;
- Apply and evaluate assessment models for decision- making related to student learning;
- Apply principles of legal and ethical decision- making to inform policy and practice;
- Critically analyze issues of cultural diversity; and
- Apply emotional intelligence, communication and leadership skills in diverse learning communities.
You must select a specialization to complete your Master of Arts in Education:
Your course schedule is flexible. Take online courses one at a time. Online courses are offered in an accelerated six-week format and can be accessed 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
Your faculty members all have earned doctorates and have recent experience practicing what they teach. At University of the Rockies, both the theory and its practical application are taught. Your instructors will enliven your discussions and enhance your feedback with real-world lessons from their workplace experience.
* Licensure Information
An online degree from the University of the Rockies (UoR) does not lead to teacher licensure in any state. If you want to become a classroom teacher, contact your state's education authorities prior to enrolling at UoR to determine what state-specific requirements you must complete before obtaining your teacher's license. UoR graduates will be subject to additional requirements on a state-by-state basis that will include one or more of the following: student teaching or practicum experience, additional coursework, additional testing, or, if the state requires a specific type of degree to seek alternative certification, earning an additional degree. None of UoR's online education programs are CAEP,TEAC, or NCATE** accredited, which is a requirement for certification in some states. Other factors, such as a student's criminal history, may prevent an applicant from obtaining licensure or employment in this field of study. All prospective students are advised to visit the Education Resource Organizations Directory (EROD) and to contact the licensing body of the state where they are licensed or intend to obtain licensure to verify that these courses qualify for teacher certification, endorsement, and/or salary benefits in that state prior to enrolling. Prospective students are also advised to regularly review the state's policies and procedures relating to licensure as those policies are subject to change.
** The Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation (CAEP) is the resulting entity from the merger of the Teacher Education Accreditation Council (TEAC) and National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE).