Attendance Policy

University of the Rockies // Resources // Colorado Student Life // Colorado Students // Attendance Policy


You are expected to attend all classes in which you are enrolled. If you have a compelling reason to be absent from a class, you must discuss that absence in advance with the instructor. You are responsible for any work you miss because of an absence. Faculty members will keep accurate records of student attendance and report attendance to the Office of the Registrar at the end of each class.

Students may not miss the first class session in a course unless they have prior written permission from the instructor teaching the course. Students are responsible for arranging to obtain class materials and assignments for the class time they miss.

Students may not attend classes for which they are not officially enrolled. If students who are not listed on the class roster attend a class, the instructor will refer them to the Associate Registrar for proper enrollment. Whether or not to allow the student to remain in the class for that session is left to the discretion of the course instructor.

Evening Courses: Students enrolled in evening courses are allowed two absences per course. Students who fail to attend a third class session will be administratively dropped from the course.

Weekend Courses: Students enrolled in weekend courses are allowed a one-day absence per course. Students who fail to attend a second day of the course will be administratively dropped from the course.

Weekend Intensive Courses: Students enrolled in weekend intensive courses are required to attend all class sessions. Students who fail to attend a class session will be administratively dropped from the course.

Additional absences may be approved by the Dean of the School for the following reasons:

  • Military deployment or duty;
  • Personal or family emergency;
  • Work requirement;
  • Act of nature (including severe weather conditions);
  • Death in the family; and
  • Other exigent circumstances as approved by the Dean.

Students who do not attend any classes for two consecutive weeks will be administratively withdrawn from their program by the Registrar's Office.

For other attendance requirements, please see the current Academic Catalog.

When a holiday occurs during a term, the missed class will be scheduled at the end of the term. Term end dates have been adjusted to include an extra Monday or Tuesday during terms in which there are School-observed holidays.

Continuous Enrollment
Matriculated students must be continuously enrolled from the time of matriculation through graduation. Upon acceptance into University of the Rockies' PsyD, Clinical Specialization doctoral program, you are expected to be enrolled full-time, 6 or more credit hours per term (or registered for dissertation or internship), until you have completed the program. If you must take time off due to medical or family emergency or military deployment, you may apply for an Academic Leave from the University.

Satisfactory Academic Progress
We are dedicated to your academic success. As such, the University adheres to a policy for Satisfactory Academic Progress which outlines the minimum requirements for University of the Rockies programs and how they are measured to ensure you are making satisfactory academic progress toward successful degree completion. See the current Academic Catalog for Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) policy and requirements.

Should you fail to maintain minimum standards in academics and/or conduct conduct, you may be dismissed from the University, or you may be placed on probation. Probation for conduct or academic reasons is a written reprimand for violation of specified University policies. Probation is for a designated period of time and includes the probability of more severe sanctions if you are found to be violating any institutional regulation(s) during the probationary period.

Academic Leave
Although University of the Rockies encourages continuous enrollment from the time of matriculation through graduation for all students, from time to time circumstances may arise that warrant a short break in enrollment. Should you experience an extraordinary personal situation that would require a request for an academic leave from the program, you are encouraged to discuss the matter with the Director of Student Affairs and/or the Associate Registrar. You must complete the Academic Leave Request form, which is available from the Office of the Registrar.

Withdrawal from the University
An on-campus student wishing to officially withdraw from University of the Rockies must notify the Registrar's Office. You may be asked to complete a written withdrawal form and must resolve any financial obligations to University of the Rockies before receiving an official transcript from the Registrar's Office.

Financial Hold
If you fail to meet your financial obligations to the School or financial aid institutions you will be subject to a financial hold on your records and academic activities. Until your financial obligations are satisfied, you will not receive transcripts or grade reports, and may be prohibited taking comprehensive exams, obtaining copies of official transcripts, or receiving a diploma. If you are having difficulty meeting your financial obligations to University of the Rockies, or if you anticipate such difficulty, discuss your situation with the Finance Manager immediately.

University of the Rockies awards semester credit hours.

University of the Rockies may accept up to 3 semester hours into the Graduate Certificate programs; up to 9 semester hours into the Master of Arts programs; up to 12 semester hours into the 68 credit postmaster's Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) or Doctor of Psychology (PsyD); or up to 36 semester hours into the 121 credit post-baccalaureate PsyD, Clinical Specialization from regionally accredited institutions when that coursework matches University of the Rockies' curricular offerings. University of the Rockies may accept non-traditional credit courses evaluated by American Council for Education (ACE) as a graduate-level equivalent on a course-by course basis. Only courses with a grade of "B" or above will be considered for transfer credit. University of the Rockies reserves the right to determine the relevancy of the transfer course content based on institutional catalog course descriptions, course syllabi, and/or other satisfactory documentation. The University may determine that a course cannot be transferred due to residency requirements, local laws, and/or program requirements. In addition, coursework completed more than 10 years prior to the date of admission is subject to review for currency and applicability to the current degree program.

Applicable transfer credits will be applied to a student’s record once all required official transcripts have been received and the student has been fully admitted.

Attendance Policy pageTitle:, pageUrl:, pageId:, pageDescription:,